Phil Flannery's - The History
Phil Flannery’s is one of the six Flannery’s pubs in County Limerick, originally bought by five brothers from the same family. They are well known in Limerick and its surroundings, and they are renowned for good customer service and well-run establishments.
William Flannery and the first Flannery pub
It all started back in 1898, in the County Tipperary village of Rearcross. The brothers’ Grandfather William Flannery opened the first Flannery pub, The Rising Sun, and ran it successfully for the duration of his life. His son, James, moved to Annacotty, where he bought a farm on Mount Shannon Road, and raised his family of six boys (William, Michael, Patsy, Phil, Seamus, Jerry and John) and two girls (Breda and Anne).
The Move into Limerick
In 1959, Michael (Mick) made the move into Limerick where he opened the first Limerick branch of Flannery’s in Wickham Street. William (Willie) made the move to Dublin and opened The Temple Bar (his name still remains over the door to this day but alas it is no longer in the family). Shortly after this, Phil also moved to Dublin to help Willie in the Temple Bar for three years.
In 1961, Mick decided to move from Wickham Street to a new premise on William Street (formerly Finns Hotel). Patsy then took over in Wickham Street, and remains there to this day trading with his son Pat. A year later, Mick decided to extend William Street. Phil came back to Limerick to help him out for a few years. While working there, he met and married Kathleen O Brien who worked in the Honey Pot in William Street.
Phil’s First and Second Pub
In 1965, Phil then opened his first pub in Shannon Street. Jerry was not to be left out and he opened Catherine Street circa 1969. 1971 was a big year for Phil and Kathleen, as they opened their second pub in Caherconlish. The year became even bigger when Kathleen gave birth to their first son Phil Jnr. In 1977, Phil and Kathleen moved their interests back into the city and opened Denmark Street. Seamus bought Caherconlish and remains at the helm out there to this day.
Handing over the Reigns
In 2002, Phil decided to hand over the reins of Denmark Street and Phil Jnr took control. Phil Jnr met and married Helen Curtin in 2004. Together they decided to build for the future and put a plan in place to re-build Denmark Street.
Mick sold William Street in 2004 and moved operations to Upper Denmark Street where they continue to trade today.
In January 2007, they completely demolished Denmark Street and re-built it within the year. On December 19th 2007, they re-opened and the resulting premises is what you can see today.